Sunday, July 25, 2010

For My Own Sake - The End

This post is for my sake, there will be no new adventures in this one, nor any pictures.

I was wickedly scared when I was going to Nepal. On that plane, I felt Nepal was either going to make me or break me. Now, after two long months, Nepal feels like a second home to me. I miss the food, I miss the landscape. I face a culture shock just walking down the roads here. Malls, streets, everything seems foreign in a way. I miss the prayer flags in the sky everywhere, the incense in the air.

Most of all, I miss the people. Everyone I met there, no matter if that's how they are back home, were amazing people. Some of the best people I've ever met. The girls all had personalities I wish I could find back here in Calgary. And all the guys were just damn great guys, and an absolute pleasure to know. I felt close to everyone there, whether I actually was or not. Closer than I've been to anyone here in Canada for a long time.

I also miss just having these people around. I don't have many people to talk to here, and none to really have a great, deep discussion like with some of the volunteers. In all honesty, life seems kind of lonely here. I really don't have much of an idea of what to do with myself here. There's no hospitals, no roof to hang out on, no one really even to chat with for half the day. I have no one to adventure with on the weekends, and right now no resources to do it. The kindness of Pabitra and playing with Sumna, I'll miss those since those were purely Nepali phenomena. Those didn't originate in the west.

My life's here, but there is a lot that I'll miss from Nepal. But, everyone that I met while in Nepal, everyone I spent time with, thank you for making this summer the best summer I've ever had. It was an amazing once in a lifetime experience. All of it. Thank you and goodbye. I'll miss you.

No comments:

Post a Comment